Mixer ailerons+rudder

Mikko

User
I had a discussion with a swiss friend on my slope regarding mixer ailerons/rudder and precisely :

- ailerons to turn to right and rudder the same (direction)

OR

- ailerons to turn to right and rudder contrary (direction)

Second point :

mixer is the same for a 3 meters glider as per a 1:3 scale machine or not ? ( difference in the length arm between wings to rudder )

Probably physic laws declare a statement but in practice is different ?

Thanks for your comments and considerations also in german, for sure.

For coordinated roll into the curve, mix should be positive (same direction). Once in stationary spiral, aileron and rudder are normally crossed on high aspect ratio gliders. (Ailerons slightly out of the curve, to avoid falling into the curve, rudder slightly into the curve or neutral.)

That's also the reason why many old cracks advise against using a mixer. It's never right for every situation. Personally, if mixing at all, I'd adjust for optimum roll behavior and then "oversteer" during spiralling.

Für kooridiniertes Rollen sollte der Mix positiv sein ( SR und QR gleiche Richtung.) Im stationären Kurvenflug stehen die Ruder bei Seglern mit grosser Streckung dann normalerweise gekreuzt. (QR leicht gegen die Kurve ("stützen"), SR leicht in die Kurve oder neutral.)

Das ist der Grund, warum die meisten erfahrenen Segelflieger SR/QR Mix nicht empfehlen. Es passt nie für jede Situation. Persönlich, wenn ich den mixen würde, würde ich für optimale Rolleigenschaften erfliegen und während des stationären Kriesflugs den Mixer übersteuern.

And if you use the mix, the rudder go in the wrong direction when flying inverted :eek:

But if using it, it should go same direction to avoid adverse yaw.
And if you have a 3 m and a 6 m glider of the same model it would probably need the same mix

Cheers
Soren

Mikko

User
Danke!

Danke!

Danke ! everybodies is wrong or right then!

Speed flight phase no mixer, Distance rudder same direction than ailerons, thermic phase ailerons inverse respect to rudder.

I use this rule but also reading your comments the contrary it's right, a question of taste at the end.

It's also true that we abuse of mixer and other electronic functions due to the fact modern radios are full of these possibilities !

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten