International AC 62RC Class

AC 55RC

AC 55RC

A couple of us have already built AC 55RC cats and I'm leaning toward that length even if the Head Honcho's(America's Cup Authority-ACA) change to 45'.
Making a "legal" Mini 40 seems like a bad idea because using movable ballast the 55's SA is 1825 sq.in(1.18 sq.m)*. And the Trapeze Power Ballast System rack when fully extended exceeds the max beam of the Mini 40/F48.
It's essential that these America's Cup RC catamarans are powered up enough to foil in a 5 mph(4.3 knot) breeze.
Any thoughts?
* My boat is a converted F48 (Same basic dimensions as a Mini 40 with extended bows)

D4Z Trapeze Power Ballast System 3-21-15 009.jpg

D4Z main and rudder foils ready to fly 007.jpg

AC 62--OUT!

AC 62--OUT!

From Scuttlebutt tonight:

Coutts explains that Pete Melvin, who was involved in creating the design rule for the AC72 used in 2013, and the AC62 that had been planned for 2017, has been retained by the teams to propose revised specifications:
“A length somewhere between 45-50′ seems to be the consensus, enabling the boat parts to fit into a container, however, the beam and wing height are probably more important considerations than the length in terms of performance. It is a pity we didn’t get this over the line a while back when it was first proposed but better late than never.”

ACRC Cat

ACRC Cat

Anybody interested in the Radio Controlled AC Cat is invited to make suggestions for the new boat. There are some things we know now: if they go with a 45 we won't go with a 45" model. We won't go with a boat designed and built under the Mini 40 or F48 rules though such a boat may be able to be converted to the new class. Two AC 55RC cats already exist. They were conceived of as "the AC 45 of the AC62RC class" and may wind up being THE AC RC class.
I'd like to hear anyones opinion. My enthusiasm has waned just a bit, but the fact remains we will have a Radio Controlled Foiling America's Cup Cat-and that is a great opportunity for anyone interested in technically sophisticated RC models. The same characteristics will be insisted upon: the boat will foil upwind, the boat will be able to gybe on foils. And tacking on foils is a target that may come with skill in sailing the new boat. Movable Ballast will be legal-the reason is that it can double the righting moment of the boat. Wings will be one design but, for a time, soft sails will be legal with an area restriction equivalent to the wing. Depending on the discussions we are having now, foil systems may or may not be one design. The idea is to allow new people to participate w/o having to be a foil or wing expert. Same with movable ballast systems.
The idea never has been to copy the full size boat but to develop a high performance RC cat worthy of being an America's Cup Class.
Speak and be heard or not.......

ACRC CAT

ACRC CAT

Some of us are discussing aspects of the America's Cup RC Foiler cat rule for the new boat-whatever the length. My suggestion is that we make the boat square-or at least make it possible for the boat to be square within the rule. On top of that the Trapeze Power Ballast System would extend outboard further*. And foil tips could would extend past the maximum beam as well-as was allowed in our AC 62RC rule. We need all the RM we can get. Comments?
* this needs more thought/discussion

Hi Doug, I still think that we have to fit the boat in the Mini40 Class, so max 1,2m length and width. Otherwise there will be NO other boats. Then I don't know about the format. Should those boats achieve the highest straight line speed or sail on an up and down. If sailing on a normal course I struggle to believe they will be faster than in floating mode. The flying becomes more beneficial only with size. Straight line is worth a thought but then again, who would be interested in that?

I am eager to see how you're doing. And I will do some lifting foil experiments as soon as my plugs and new boats are ready.

Keep it up! Chris

ACRC

ACRC

Thanks, Chris! I still think the ACRC should be a distinctive, separate class with its own rules. There's lot of tech that goes with the new boats so they'll need to carry more weight not to mention the requirement of movable ballast-essential for power for early takeoff. In my opinion, these new boats should foil upwind and down wind and should be able to gybe on foils and come close to tacking on foils. They should be able to sail any course any other boat sails and win. Those are the ground rules-if they are not successfully met there will be no successful ACRC cat.

Da mein Englisch sehr bescheiden ist kann ich der Diskusion zur Zeit nicht folgen, aber die Überschrift passt leider nicht mehr.

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/segeln-kleinere-katamarane-beim-america-s-cup-a-1026663.html
------------
Thanks, Road Runner! My personal opinion is that it is a shame to lose first the AC 72, and then the AC 62! Unfortunate and sad. Seems like a completely mismanaged Americas Cup Authority. Next the'll probably select a model and have the great race on a pond somewhere if the Teams can afford to get there....

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten