Radio Controlled Foiling America's Cup Catamaran

Outboard Foils

Outboard Foils

Hello Jim

This video is from last Sunday and shows my ongoing tests with heavy weather foils

https://youtu.be/Y170e-hmT38

Dave Creed's foils can fit facing inboard or outboard, and will be good when I find the correct angle of attack.
We are now making a starboard Z foil for testing on the One Metre

mij

User
Hello Jim

This video is from last Sunday and shows my ongoing tests with heavy weather foils

https://youtu.be/Y170e-hmT38

Dave Creed's foils can fit facing inboard or outboard, and will be good when I find the correct angle of attack.
We are now making a starboard Z foil for testing on the One Metre

Hello Ian,

Both foils look really interesting. What is the theory behind the Z-foil?

I'm intrigued by the shallow outward facing arrangement I'm playing with. Even with a narrow beam, and without a T-foil rudder the boat can sail in very strong winds. Obviously it will need the T-foil rudder, but I'm keen to find the minimum surface area that I can get away with. It is still a long way from stable foiling, but I think that it has the potential to be an interesting boat.

I've been wondering about your standard configuration. Is there a reason you use one central rudder?

Jim.

Foils and Rudders

Foils and Rudders

Hello Jim
The concept behind the Z foils is simple: we are trying to push the foils as far apart as possible, to make the boat over-square. Nothing else. The horizontal section has some lift but we know it will create drag, so we will only use these foils when there is sufficient wind to guarantee foiling, or when the normal foils struggle upwind.

I am a firm believer in the backwards tricycle configuration - two foils at the front and one rudder at the back. If you have two rudders, then both must have T foils on them. The leeward rudder is in the wrong position to prevent a capsize. But the windward rudder will quickly come out of the water unless it is ridiculously long. Our rudders on the One metre are 31cm long, and on the Mini40 36cm. These would not be long enough on a cat of the same length. Whereas a single rudder on the centerline works on both tacks equally well to a) promote foiling and b) prevent a capsize.

Rgds

WIESEL

User
Entscheidend ist das Gesamtgewicht des Foil - Multihull, bei meinem Teil ist es 1350 Gramm,
kommt natürlich viel früher zum fliegen, habe heute auf 2300 Gramm Blei aufgeladen, dann
habe ich den Foil - Multihull heute nicht mehr auf die Foiler gebracht!

Windgeschwindigkeit heute etwa 1,5 - 2 Windstärken!

Soviel Wind wie in FLEVOLAND 3 - 5 Windstärken ist bei uns im Binnenland nicht oft!

Peter Gernert - " WIESEL "

Entscheidend ist das Gesamtgewicht des Foil - Multihull, bei meinem Teil ist es 1350 Gramm,
kommt natürlich viel früher zum fliegen, habe heute auf 2300 Gramm Blei aufgeladen, dann
habe ich den Foil - Multihull heute nicht mehr auf die Foiler gebracht!

Windgeschwindigkeit heute etwa 1,5 - 2 Windstärken!

Soviel Wind wie in FLEVOLAND 3 - 5 Windstärken ist bei uns im Binnenland nicht oft!

Peter Gernert - " WIESEL "

Peter, die foilern ab 3-4 bft...
Früher hatten wir in Köln auch häufig die Leichtwind Wetterlagen 1 bis mal in der Böe 3-4 bft. Nun mittlerweile über den Klimawechsel und Temperatursprünge über 10 Grad haben wir auch häufiger stärkere Windperioden...

Foiler

Foiler

UptiP foils-now thats cool! But no righting moment except off the wind. This is the first RC cat I've seen foil well on uptip foils for more than a couple of seconds.
Well done!

Anhänge

• CLose-up 2.jpg
    CLose-up 2.jpg
    69,6 KB · Aufrufe: 138
Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten