• Liebe RC-Network Benutzer: Bitte beachtet, dass im August 2020 alle Passwörter zurückgesetzt wurden. Mehr dazu in den News...

Stingray 3.5m by Piero Brussolo Buil Log

Hallo everybody,
I’m not new in the forum, but this is my first build tread.
First of all I’m really sorry to write in English, but my German is not so good to self-explain in a satisfactory way (ich kann ein bischen Deutsch aber English is sehr einfacher für mich!!!).
I’ll write then this build log in English but I’m happy if someone have some questions or observations in German, I’ll translate and answer.
But let’s come to the point …
after I had seen a tread opened by Giuseppe Ghisleri on RC Network on a Stingray produced in Italy, I decided to contact Mr. Piero Brussolo for information on his 3.5m Stingray (it was beginning of 2020).
It ended that a few days ago I collected everything (with some delay due to Corona Virus and possibility to go in Italy)
But let's go in order.

Here is the tread from where it all started:

You can find many pictures and explanations from Piero on his product and his production technique.
You can also find Piero's contacts, in case you are interested in more details (info@modelleriabrussolo.com)

Below you will also find some more images and some videos that give the idea of what kind of product we are talking about.

In Germany the product can be found here:

It's a relatively new product and not much is out there, so I decided to do a build log.
Maybe someone will find it useful, both to have a little more information on the product and a little guidance in its construction (don't get me wrong please ... I don't claim to teach anyone ... quite the contrary)

It will take me a while to put it together because I have other works in progress, but slowly we will proceed, most likely during the autumn.

The product:
- all fiber
- lots of carbon (almost everything)
- Kevlar and glass at the front of the fuselage for obvious reasons of radio transmissibility
- a nice square carbon joiner
- full mobile elevator on ball bearings
- various small parts to glue inside to place servos and radio system
- a precision of construction, which at first glance seems truly excellent
- out-of-mold painting covering all construction joints
- in my case a rather particular colour that made Piero a little crazy .. but in the end he succeeded
- nice bags for joiner, wings, fuselage and elevator

Well there are many things to say and in the next few days I will post more detailed photos of the kit with a little description.

Meanwhile, a preview below.
See you soon,

Andrea

Here is some detail of the fuselage.
Step by step I'll describe all the kit...just need a bit of time.

View of the Fuselage in its entirety

Detail of the canopy and its support (to be painted and glued together)

Piero works as much as possible with his CNC, and below you can see the side holes that will be used to fix the canopy itself, using a 2mm wire that slides inside a brass sheath (supplied in the kit)

Under the wing karman; everything you see is milled with great precision.
Consider that the joiner is not floating, but is inserted (very precise) and with the hole for the rear centering pin, it holds the wing in position
The front longitudinal drilling is used for fixing the wings, while on the rear you can also see the housing for the connector of the wing servos

Under the elevator area
The elevator is mounted on two bearings, which Piero has already placed in position
The alignment with the wings is perfect

The small 1mm hole you see in the photo below is also machined and indicates the center of the cut from which the pull-pull wire must come out for rudder control

On the left of the tail, the hatch to insert the elevator servo (the cover of the same color as the spindle is clearly provided in the kit)

The rudder is entangled in the lower part, while in the upper part it is hinged with a 2mm steel wire which is inserted from the top

Let's finish with a photo of the inside of the fuselage. Nice, clean, and finished very well
You can see the front in fiberglass and the rear all in carbon

That's enough for today.
We will continue in the next few days by describing the wings.
See you soon,

Andrea

graefi

User
Thank you Piero for the information, so that finish comes after the pieces are out of the mould.

Hallo everybody,
sorry for disapperaing for a bit, but I'm very busy with other projects and with my job!
Here below some picture and description of the wings.

Well, the Stingray wing is something I really like.
This trailing edge profile is very elegant and what intrigues me most about the model.
Below a photo of the two wings

On the lower part I asked Piero to leave unpainted strips, to avoid putting stickers and increase visibility in flight

The upper part is one color and I will put some adhesive to break the nice orange

All moving parts are equipped with a lip, to improve aerodynamics during movement and avoid abrupt changes in profile and edges or gaps

All moving parts are hinged on the top. The commands will be below.
The wings are held together by this brick

Interesting that the brick is not a simple parallelepiped but it is conical so as to reduce the play to a minimum when tightened in the wings (nice idea; you have to be precise to do a job like this, but it seems that Piero can!)

Below is a detail of the area that joins with the Karman
A rear anti-rotation pin and a simple but effective eyelet on the front to hold the wings together (spring, elastic, strap as desired)

The trailing edges are pretty sharp, certainly not like those of my Sprite from the Valdimir Model, but the model has to resist even a few hits on the slope, so a minimum of strength is needed. In short, much better than many famous brands that are on the market (some of which I have in the cellar!)

Finally the elevator.
12mm carbon axle and 3mm steel rear axle ... all quite strong!

Coming soon description of bags and internal small parts.
See you soon,

Andrea

PS: I confirm that painting is out of the mold

Oben Unten