Stingray 3.5m by Piero Brussolo Buil Log

Hallo everybody,
I’m not new in the forum, but this is my first build tread.
First of all I’m really sorry to write in English, but my German is not so good to self-explain in a satisfactory way (ich kann ein bischen Deutsch aber English is sehr einfacher für mich!!!).
I’ll write then this build log in English but I’m happy if someone have some questions or observations in German, I’ll translate and answer.
But let’s come to the point …
after I had seen a tread opened by Giuseppe Ghisleri on RC Network on a Stingray produced in Italy, I decided to contact Mr. Piero Brussolo for information on his 3.5m Stingray (it was beginning of 2020).
It ended that a few days ago I collected everything (with some delay due to Corona Virus and possibility to go in Italy)
But let's go in order.

Here is the tread from where it all started:

You can find many pictures and explanations from Piero on his product and his production technique.
You can also find Piero's contacts, in case you are interested in more details (info@modelleriabrussolo.com)

Below you will also find some more images and some videos that give the idea of what kind of product we are talking about.

In Germany the product can be found here:

It's a relatively new product and not much is out there, so I decided to do a build log.
Maybe someone will find it useful, both to have a little more information on the product and a little guidance in its construction (don't get me wrong please ... I don't claim to teach anyone ... quite the contrary)

It will take me a while to put it together because I have other works in progress, but slowly we will proceed, most likely during the autumn.

The product:
- all fiber
- lots of carbon (almost everything)
- Kevlar and glass at the front of the fuselage for obvious reasons of radio transmissibility
- a nice square carbon joiner
- full mobile elevator on ball bearings
- various small parts to glue inside to place servos and radio system
- a precision of construction, which at first glance seems truly excellent
- out-of-mold painting covering all construction joints
- in my case a rather particular colour that made Piero a little crazy .. but in the end he succeeded
- nice bags for joiner, wings, fuselage and elevator

Well there are many things to say and in the next few days I will post more detailed photos of the kit with a little description.

Meanwhile, a preview below.
See you soon,

Andrea

Here is some detail of the fuselage.
Step by step I'll describe all the kit...just need a bit of time.

View of the Fuselage in its entirety

Detail of the canopy and its support (to be painted and glued together)

Piero works as much as possible with his CNC, and below you can see the side holes that will be used to fix the canopy itself, using a 2mm wire that slides inside a brass sheath (supplied in the kit)

Under the wing karman; everything you see is milled with great precision.
Consider that the joiner is not floating, but is inserted (very precise) and with the hole for the rear centering pin, it holds the wing in position
The front longitudinal drilling is used for fixing the wings, while on the rear you can also see the housing for the connector of the wing servos

Under the elevator area
The elevator is mounted on two bearings, which Piero has already placed in position
The alignment with the wings is perfect

The small 1mm hole you see in the photo below is also machined and indicates the center of the cut from which the pull-pull wire must come out for rudder control

On the left of the tail, the hatch to insert the elevator servo (the cover of the same color as the spindle is clearly provided in the kit)

The rudder is entangled in the lower part, while in the upper part it is hinged with a 2mm steel wire which is inserted from the top

Let's finish with a photo of the inside of the fuselage. Nice, clean, and finished very well
You can see the front in fiberglass and the rear all in carbon

That's enough for today.
We will continue in the next few days by describing the wings.
See you soon,

Andrea

graefi

User
Thank you Piero for the information, so that finish comes after the pieces are out of the mould.

Hallo everybody,
sorry for disapperaing for a bit, but I'm very busy with other projects and with my job!
Here below some picture and description of the wings.

Well, the Stingray wing is something I really like.
This trailing edge profile is very elegant and what intrigues me most about the model.
Below a photo of the two wings

On the lower part I asked Piero to leave unpainted strips, to avoid putting stickers and increase visibility in flight

The upper part is one color and I will put some adhesive to break the nice orange

All moving parts are equipped with a lip, to improve aerodynamics during movement and avoid abrupt changes in profile and edges or gaps

All moving parts are hinged on the top. The commands will be below.
The wings are held together by this brick

Interesting that the brick is not a simple parallelepiped but it is conical so as to reduce the play to a minimum when tightened in the wings (nice idea; you have to be precise to do a job like this, but it seems that Piero can!)

Below is a detail of the area that joins with the Karman
A rear anti-rotation pin and a simple but effective eyelet on the front to hold the wings together (spring, elastic, strap as desired)

The trailing edges are pretty sharp, certainly not like those of my Sprite from the Valdimir Model, but the model has to resist even a few hits on the slope, so a minimum of strength is needed. In short, much better than many famous brands that are on the market (some of which I have in the cellar!)

Finally the elevator.
12mm carbon axle and 3mm steel rear axle ... all quite strong!

Coming soon description of bags and internal small parts.
See you soon,

Andrea

PS: I confirm that painting is out of the mold

Hallo everybody,
sorry for the long time off but I was busy and struggled to log and post some more picture.
Anyway, as promised here below you can find the protection that Piero can provide with the model.
Fuselage, wings, wing joiner and elevator.
The solution of having wing joiner and elevator together with the wings is quite nice and practical. In case you can detouch the parts (also very nice)
See you soon,

Andrea

And here some of the parts that Piero gives together with the kit, including internal wood parts, movable parts horns, some maks §D printed to position connectors in the wings.

The wood parts include:
- front rib that it is used to secure the canopy on the front and to have a nice separated compartment where to put some weight when needed
- double central rib, to be glued just behind the canopy
- rear rib and rudder servo support: this is especially designed to be positioned behind the wings so that it leaves space to the bottle for water ballast (recommended by Piero if you want to have high performance in very strong conditions). this is made in such a way you mount the servo on its holder and you screw it on the rib (quick and nice)
- finally there is the wood plate for the electronics

Work will start soon 🙂
Ciao,

Andrea

So.... some details of the work in progress.
First thing to do is to glue together the two big ribs and the three long pieces that will be used to support the electronics plate and to strenght the fuselage (although I must admit this is the stronger fuselage I have had in my hands.

The other thing I like to do, before installing all weeods parts in the fuse, is to cover them with black glass fiber. You can find this in R&G, it is quite cheap and gives a very nice looking results. I'm used to do that in all my airplanes. Once finished it is very nice to see.
Someone qill say "yes but it is inside...so nobody see it!"...well, I see it anytime I open the canopy 🙂
You will see the results at the end, it is quite nice

Ciao,

Andrea

We move forward...
Preparation of rudder servo support
I cut a bit more the original part in a way that I can also fit them together not only on the surface.
On the span that has to be glued on the fuselage I put wood self locking nuts (they are used to fix and remove the servo support)

Regarding the electronics plate, Piero suggests to glue it directly in the fuselage.
Me, I like to be able to remove this part and to use also the space below... so, I decided to cut a small frame that I'll glue on the fuselage and on which I'll screw the electronics plate

Ciao,

Andrea

The frame where the electronic plate is to be fixed has been suitably lightened.
Trying everything in position it seems to find its place well.
The longitudinal "rib" has been cut and prepared to put the tube that will support the pin for launch with elastic.
A small "cap" for the front bulkhead has also been made to separate the compartment where the lead will be housed (I expect a little!).
The electronic plate has been cut on both sides (strip of a few millimeters).
These two parts will be glued to the support frame and will increase the gluing surface, in addition they slightly decrease the lateral dimension of the plate and greatly facilitate its extraction.
Soon we glue everything in place ...
Hi,

Andrea

Reaktionen: wst
Work is progressing slowly...not much time available
As first I glued the rear spant that will support rudder servo (remember that in this case is glued so behind to allow fitting a bottle for water ballast on the CoG).
To glue these parts I normally use 30' glue with microballoons and also microfibre.
I make it quite dense and I use a syringe to distribute well on the parts to glue.
Sometimes I fix first the parts with some instant glue, to be sure they do not move.

After appying the glue I refine with a finger.

After that I glued also the ones in the front. Same technique.

I'm reasonably happy the way is coming out.
CIao,

Andrea

As anticipated at the beginning of the discussion, Piero marks the servos position with four 1mm holes.
Maybe he explains why he doesn't cut them off directly ....
I would use a 0.5 / 0.7mm milling tool to cut them off to provide the rest of the cut as a lid.

However, since mine is nice and colorful and that the servo bays fall into the area of the carbon strips below, I decided to cut them in order to reuse them.
I found some 0.75mm Dremel discs, and with the help of an aluminum rod that acted as my guide, I cut them out.
I then made small pieces of carbon (angulars) which I glued with cyanoacrylate.

Since I am a lover of aesthetics, I have also cut the horns for flap and aileron again and in carbon.

See you soon,

Andrew

DUring last days I could proceed quite quickly in many tasks

Milled servo supports and glued in the wings
Servos are KST 15mm in the wings (new A version with circa 20kg*cm) and 20mm std in the wings with 18kg*cm

Support for clutch release servo

The release system is very simple; small brass tube glued in a wood parts and everything glued with 30' in the fuselage
Later cut from the outside below the nase

Elevator Servo: I decided to do it removable
Simple aluminium L profile. covered with carbon for a bit of look and stiffness.
Three holes and three glued nuts; everything will be fixed from the outside with three 3mm screws that will not be visible being below the elevator

Click here to see a large version

Rudder servo installation on its support

I then proceed glueing the horns for flap and ailerons
I kept them in position (right relative distance) by mounting the uniball)

Flap

Aileron

I then make an hole in the fuse corresponding (more or less
sad.gif
)to the cut on the inside wood spant and glued the brass tube (10x8) in position
This will be used for elastic launch

Here is showen how I did the water ballast tank support and its fixing
Cola 1.25L bottle
Removable supports
Rear supports with simple manual locking (one piece of wood that slides inside the other); front support screwd with the M3
Shape of the rear bottole done in fiber to have a good seat in position and to avoid bottle rotation

Here the parts that are glued and remain there when the bottle is removed

For now that's it!
Ciao,

Andrea

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten