My foiling 1.2 M cat build

Hey Jim, that is very cool! Let us see the boat as soon as possible!
I just realized again how important the weight is. Try to make it as light as possible!

Cheers, Chris

Hey Jim, cool building! Have you seen Ian's new foiling tri? Might give you some inspiration.
What are your experiences with transfer moulding? I thought about it a lot of times to avoid the mess of hand laminating. Would you say it is worth the effort?

Cheers, Chris

Yes I have seen it, notice how forward the foils are? Remember my post Foiling, food for thought? that is why my foils are forward of the cross beam also.

Plugs and molds, I use molds and Infusion with vacuum pump because it is much lighter. Example; my center control pod 2 layers of 5.9 oz. 2x2 twill carbon plus 2 oz. PW glass at 45 degrees for the bottom half and 2 layers of 5.9 oz. 2x2 carbon twill with 6 oz PW fiberglass at 45 degrees in the middle for servo Tq. for the top half weighs 8 oz. just for the top and bottom skins.

Plus it is much simpler and faster http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Cat...Infusion-for-Cosmetic-Carbon-Fibre-Parts.aspx

weha

User
Tri Foiler

Tri Foiler

Hello Jim

Thanks for the video, the speed is impressive.
What I do not understand: at half wind he goes totally horizontal, and not heels?

There are on You-tube a second video which 12.38 min is long, as you can see
at 9.34 the Foilerstellung min.
Question: the Foiler are driven by a servo?

thank you very much
Werner AUT152

Richtig, die Foils sind fest. Ian hat mir aber geschrieben, dass die Foils bei mehr Wind zuviel Auftrieb erzeugen. Für mehr Wind (wie im 2. Film) will er nun kleinere Foils bauen. Bald geht das Ding aber richtig ab! Und wegen der vertikalen Fläche segelt er trotzdem hoch. Muss man weiter beobachten!

Chris

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten