Electric Formula One Racing.

Dear racers,

A new class has been established in USA, UK, Canada and hopefully Europe will follow.

Electric Formula One racing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1178471

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/pylonracen-speedmodels/97183-electric-formula-one.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219329&page=6

It will be a entry level stock racing class at low cost and commercialy available parts. Jerry Small has designed some planes and Horizon USA has one ARF available. The POGO LR1A. Speeds just under 200 kmh.

a3025324-120-Pogo%20Glamour%20%2819%29.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OflmgL3c6TE

RBCkits from Holland is doing kits for the Little Tony and the Tomcat based on designs from Jerry Small and Dan Kane.

robbert-albums-electric-formula-one-picture32405-tc5.jpg

robbert-albums-electric-formula-one-picture32404-kf13746.jpg

a3009102-5-Outrageous%20%236%20Electric%20Formula%201%20005.jpg

Robbert van den Bosch

Javlin

User
Well, that is the problem isn't it.

Defining legal equipment.

Plus the fact that the currently defined equipment is only available in the US.

The rules developed for electric reno racing in 2008 were not that restrictive, allowing any 1:12 scale racer to participate (I can send the rules if you like).
It allowed for any aircombat machine to take part. So the weight is not the issue.
But still there was only 1 race with about 15 pilots.

There is a very good reason why F5D uses limiters, and predefining equipment is not the same.

I don't think in problems but in solutions.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/1/1/5/7/2/a3023246-81-Carbon Slipper.jpg?d=1264722404

The equipment is available in Europe. Pogo and E flight setup through Horizon hobbys Germany. Turnigy parts trough HK germany. Planes through RBCkits The Netherlands.
Not yet on the site but in preparation for production. And more to come.

This is intended to be a beginners and club racing class.

Stock material will prevent the run on new equipment every time new stuff comes out.

Energy limiting is perfect for a full blown F5D/F5B class but not for beginners to much to change.

What about limiting power and not energy !

Maybee I need to explain.

If you limit energy good pilots can use there energy in less time and so have more power available increasing their speed. This means guys just starting and not so good in the flying, Our beginners and new bees, must use a less powerfull setup and are slowing down their planes.

If we limit power all planes will be at the same speed.

If we use a gouvenour mode on the ESC ,a fixed max RPM, and a prescribed prop we can controll the speed of the planes , no speed creap , and the efficienty of the motor , ESC and batterys don't matter any more.

For the moment we have chosen for the Stock class solution to get the momentum going in this class. If we have exceed the critical mass we can start thinking about a Pro-class.

Robbert

Javlin

User
Ok, that is a good start.

Power limit will be interesting, but requires strict surveillance.

I would advise to review the renowned shops in Germany and Austria and decide which ARF planes are legal according to your rules and note them as such. Kits are nice but not everyones favorite.

Some German commercials can be found here:

http://www.rc-network.de/werbung/inserenten.php

be shure to review the big shops for good availability.

Javlin

User
Very nice, were would I get this plane?

You said that this is supposed to be a starter class.
Stock parts need to be readily available and not just a "coming soon" on some web page.
As you are defining equipment to provide equal chances, the equipment needs to be deliverable.

I have researched The E-flight motor a little and found that it has to be imported. Maybe I didn't look in the right shop, but this is what I mean with "available". Same with the ESC and the Planes. I would personally like to see this race flourish. So maybe someone here can provide some shops so the commitee can get some stuff approved.

btw: Reno Rules 2009

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=128674

The class is in its infancy state so not all is available yet but one of the biggest worldwide modelcompagnys have joint hands together with the NMPRA to support this class. They have put the first ARF EF1 on the market also in Germany. The planes arrive end of may.

http://horizonhobby.de/index.php?main=2&id=8&1=17&2=&3=&prod_id=6417

I started this thread just to see if there is interrest in Germany since you guys ar leading in F5D. Remember this class is for newbees and beginners and could be a good breading place for future F5D racers.

Would you or someone else be interested in introducing this class in Germany this year ?

Robbert

Hi Robbert,

do you see a chance to visit the next F5D contest in Herzebrock 15./16.May f5d.org. It's not too far away from the Netherlands and you will meet most of the german electric pylon guys.

@all

Komischerweise gibt es hier sehr wenig Resonanz auf die Ankündigung von Robbert :confused:. Falls Englisch das Problem sein sollte, ich bin sicher, dass Robbert Beiträge in Deutsch sehr wohl versteht auch wenn er vielleicht lieber in Englisch antwortet. Übrigens, Robbert van den Bosch ist amtierender F3D Weltmeister und weiss daher, wovon er hier schreibt.

Meine Meinung zum Thema: Ich wäre interessiert an EF1. Preiswert, überall fliegbar und verspricht sehr viel Spass :).

Viele Grüße,
Steffen

Javlin

User
I have been researching some more: Nachforschungen ergaben:

Plane (Pogo ARF Kit) 140.-
Turnigy Motor 20.-
E-Flight Motor 70.- (heavier motor, can absorb more heat) (schwerer Motor, kann mehr Hitze aufnehmen)
Esc 40.-

Total: 200.- or 250.- + RC Equipment

The Motors and ESC are only available in non-european shops.
The Eflight motor comes in 2 variations 900 KV and 1250KV, the 1250 KV version is hard to get.
The Pogo is due in May. (one German and one Austrian Shop)
Other Planes are "coming soon".

Die Motoren und Regler sind nur in nichteuropäischen Shops zu finden.
Den Eflight Motor gibts in 2 Versionen 900 KV und 1250 KV, wobei der 1250 KV schwer zu finden ist.
Der Pogo ARF soll im Mai lieferbar sein.
Bei den anderen Fliegern steht nur "bald verfügbar".

Gruß,

Kai

hi,

wäre auch dabei, hört sich gut an und die F1-Flieger finde ich sowieso ziemlich geil.

Wir sehen uns nächste Woche.

Grüße aus Herzebrock

Klaus Brettner

Javlin

User
I have been reading through the starting procedure, and if I read it correctly each pilot is flying against the clock with 2 pilots of the 4 starting at the same time.

Would'nt it be more interesting to sart all pilots at the same time and have them fly against each other rather than against the clock?

This would be a real race, making the first to finish the winner of each heat and the time to finish irrelevant.

In Reno the start is a flying start, meaning the pilots take off to a ready area and must cross the start line at or after the start signal.

This could be adapted to a ground start.

Then the Bronze, Silver and Gold race decide the firts three places.

-------------------------------

Ich habe die Regeln für den Start durchgeschaut und verstehe das so das die Piloten in Zweiergruppen gestartet werden und gegen die Uhr fliegen.

Wäre es nicht spannender alle gleichzeitig zu starten und der erste der fertig ist hat gewonnen statt gegen die hr zu fliegen?

Das wäre ein echtes Rennen das den Ersten zum Gewinner der Runde macht, was die benötigte Zeit irrelevant macht.

In Reno wird ein fliegender Start benuzt um das Rennen zu beginnen, wobei die Piloten in einen Warteluftraum starten und beim oder nach dem Startsignal die Startlinie überfliegen.

Ein Bodenstart ginge auch.

Dann gäbe es Bronze, Silber und Gold Rennen die die ersten 3 Plätze definieren.

Björn Köster

Teammitglied
Damit wäre man recht nah an der Art und Weise, wie wir die Reno-Racing Wettbewerbe durchführen.
Vielleicht könnte man ein Reglement an diese Art und Weise der Durchführung anlehnen.

;)
Björn

Hallo E freunden,

Es wird um plazierung geflogen in EF1 wie in alle USA race klassen.
4 racehorse startende flieger gab zufiele mid "starts" Die start interfall ist 0,5 bis max 1 secunden so fast gleighzeitig und die startfolge wird gewechselt in jeder nachste runde.

Leider ist es fur mich nicht moglich zum wetbewerb in Herzebrock abzu reisen.

Robbert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bericht aus Canada mit videos. Robbert

Two videos here of the first E-F1 race in Canada. We had four entries today and ended the day with two. Thanks very much to our pioneers here:
Murray Hamula, Chuck Swaney, Arnie Kaine, and Dave Sawers.

We were flying on a 380', three pylon course in Calgary, Alberta, Canada at the RC field of the Calgary Miniature Pylon Racing Association. Very brisk crosw-wind/down-wind at times and temp was 25 degrees C. Fastest time today was 1:20 by Murray. The guys have certainly learned a lot about he power system and construction.

The video was taken with just my mini hand held Kodak digi camera. Not the best quality but you get the idea.

Randy Smith
-------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYHFM4iFDOs&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQdxy7z61NY&feature=player_embedded

Javlin

User
Das sieht gut aus. Ich hab hunderter Zeiten mitgestoppt.

Was spricht gegen einen fliegenden Start? dann gibts auch keine Midstarts.

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten