Feuerlöschboot düsseldorf - Verlängerung des Modells

Lew Zee

User
In January of this year (2022) I was given a Krick Dusseldorf 2 fireboat. It was about 85% built and partially running. The previous owner bought it as a project to work on during the Covid epidemic. However, I don't think he was experienced enough to build a working model of this level of complication. One of the big problems was that he had an eight channel Spektrum RC system and he was trying to get some channels to operate more of the functions. (He had extra servos and switches he was trying to use.)
I decided to do some historical research on the real fireboat (like I do for most of my models). At first I thought that Robbe did not make the boat to be a model of the real Dusseldorf. Then I found out that in 1979 the real fireboat was lengthened. That I what I decided to do with this model.
So I just about completely disassembled the model, removed the decks and all of the wiring and am preparing the hull to be cut and rejoined with a 200mm new center section. I see that at least two other model builders (both in Germany) have done this but for their own reason the stopped many years ago.
If you or anyone you know has done this can you/them post on this forum topic. I would like to hear/see what others have done. This should make a very interesting model when completed.
I plan on posting updates here now and then, but for more details and photos I have created some pages for the Dusseldorf 2 fireboat on my web site at: (I also have a highly detailed Graupner Wiesel, with a lot of info on that is on my site as well.)
Lew
Clearwater, FL, USA
FB-drawing-longt-config.jpg
Hull-ready-lengthen-03-20-2022cropped.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Lew Zee

User
Stefan,
Thanks for your input! I have updated the History page with one of the photos as well as updating the Index page to include links to dwdetailsinscale.de site pages. As soon as I am done with the major overhaul of my USCG 57 ft. MLB model (which san a month ago) I will be getting back to the Dusseldorf fireboat project.
Also, do you or anyone else know what type of siren sound the FLB 2 makes? Is it the typical European siren?
Lew

S_a_S

User
Lew,
could make more sense not to cut the ABS (since difficult to glue/filler/seal), but to use the ABS hull as the base for a composite mold.

Blue flashing lights for sure. Regarding the siren, maybe a "Martinshorn" (two tone with a perfect fourth), but is usually not used along the big riverboats. Maybe close to sport boats / swimmers to alert them, as the bow wave can reach 1.8 m
Another nice video
kind regards

Lew Zee

User
Stephan,

Actually ABS is easy to work with and cement (dissolve-weld). I use it in combination with styrene plastic strips and sheets. quite often. (The big mistake people make is using most epoxies to cement or fill styrene/ABS.) For example, on this particular boat (Krick's Dusseldorf) the previous owner had epoxied the forward deck on as well as stiffeners for the main deck. As you can see in the photo all that has been removed and I started cementing the styrene deck to hull stiffeners (creating a flange).

There are several cements to use which are available here, ABS cement, Testors model solvent cement and other brands. They make a very strong joint unlike epoxy which has to "grab" both materials to be joined and cyanoacrylate (superglue or CA) which does the same but is strong but brittle. Both the epoxy and CA cements don't dissolve the base materials of both parts to create a "weld" joint. I am getting some pretty good adhesion with "JB Weld" epoxy. Just need to roughen up the surfaces real well. You can see in the bare hull photo I have already changed the rudder posts from four to two. Also added some supports for the propeller shafts bot inside and outside.

My plans are to cut the hull, make a wood form the shape of the hull at the cut line, and heat for the new ABS sheet over the form and use the dissolve/weld cement with overlapping ABS sheets on the inside to make a strong bond.

Thanks for the horn/siren information. I purchased a Velleman Sound Generator kit (K4401) that is supposed to have the Euro style siren in it. Will assemble that down the road to see how it works. Also thanks for the video link. I enjoyed looking at it.

Lew

PuR

User
Sounds like an interesting project Lew,

For whatever reason many people don’t like ABS. I am absolutely with you, using the right glue, there is no better connection than a welded ABS/ABS combination.

As long time Micro Magic sailor I have some experience in ABS welding, because all important parts of the boat used to be made out of ABS for almost 20 years. Just recently with a new producer (Hacker) some parts, e.g. the keel pocket were suddenly made out of 3d printed resin. The formerly used glues did no longer work as expected and we/the class had to make some tests with available glues on the different markets.

In US it was Greg Norris, Micro Magic Class secretary, to perform extensive test which are published here

In Europe a Dutch guy and also I have made some tests with available glues. Some results are published in the German Micro Magic forum

As a short summary I would say that JB weld plastic would be a good solution for your project. A probably better solution would be a solvent based, melting glue used in a proper dose, like Testor’s model cement, Uhu Plast Special or even simple Acetone, despite it’s tricky handling.

I have a half finished RG 65 hull here, build up in the way of wooden planks, but made out of ABS with inside overlapping ABS sheets 0.5mm. It is not possible to separate the welded planks without breaking the material.

Ralf

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten