News zum Flamingo 2006

Hello, and sorry to write in English!

At the weekend I changed the angle incidence of the main wings, not the EWD. The flamingo should have around 4º of angle in the main wings (around 18 mm from the floor to the wing tip). Mine had in one wing 22 cm, and on the other 13 cm.

Using the soldering iron I applied heat to the steel pins in the main wing spar, and with some strength and pliers moved them out of their position. It took me approx. 5 heat and pull tries with pliers to each of the steel pins (so 4 pins, and approx 20 heat tries). After, reworked the 4 holes, 2 in each wing, with the 3 mm drill (perhaps it should have been the 4 mm drill to have more tolerance). Glue them again with UHU Endfest 300, measure the height from the floor to each wing tip, and use under the left wing a mug in order to achieve the height desired. To my surprise, on the left wing it did not go further up than 16 cm. On the right wing it went down to 19 cm. Fairly good is better than perfect, so I just left it like this to dry.

The final result is: right wing 18,5 cm, left wing 14,5 cm. (again, I think I should have used the 4 mm drill, instead the 3 mm for more tolerance).

This is the second time I use this method to the wings.

To measure an straight, 3 meter wingspan glider in a flat on the floor (for having a flat reference surface) is not an easy task (fuselage is difficult to maintain in a 90º straight position).

The flamingo has been flying very well for the last 10 years with a weight of 3 kg, to 3,2 kg. Now, I hope even a bit better, specially for the left wing aileron turns, which were more kind of a diving experience, opposed to a gentle turn in the right wing (the right turns were much better and easier).

I enclose a link of alpina 4001 which explains the system of gluing taking consideration of the wings incidence in posts 34-35-36.

The picture is of last time flying with the flamingo without correcting the incidence.

Cheers!

Nacho Martínez

Anhänge

• flamingo 2006.jpg
    flamingo 2006.jpg
    522,2 KB · Aufrufe: 62
Even better to repair the wrong main wing incidence :

post 154 and post 125

Hello, and sorry for writing in English.

Not being happy with a difference of 4 cm in the height of the wing tips between each other (from the floor), I have unglued and glued again the torsion pins (for the 3rd time. They say this is the last one). So, if somebody needs to do this work, this is a summary:

1. With the soldering gun apply heat to each of the 4 torsion pins for about 10 seconds each. Soon after, with the help of pliers try to move out the pin. For me it took me 4-5 heating tries until the torsion pin is out (all in all you repeat this procedure 15-20 times for the whole of the 4 torsion pins).

2. Melt with the soldering iron the multilock in the wing. After it melted, use the drill with a 8 mm head to release the whole multilock. Then use a 10 mm head to finish and see if a new multilock fits in the place without much difficulties.

3. Work on the torsion pin holes in the wings with a drill and a 4 mm head, in order to make the holes with some tolerance for the 3 mm torsion pins to go comfortably in and have some minor alignment possibility within the hole. You can work on the holes with the 10 cm steel wing joiner on, to help as a guide for the direction of the drilling. File the torsion pins to get rid of any epoxy fixed.

4. Put the wings in place with the steel joiner and the torsion pins and check that the wing incidence is correct. I have used the help of two mugs, and clamps for putting the wings into place (The photo only shows the mugs. I also had to put a weight on one wing close to one flap, so that the two wings were symmetrical).

5. Glue the torsion pins with epoxy with cotton flocks. I have used kitchen cling film for the joints between the wing and the main rip of the body, and applied also Alex wax liquid to the torsion pins and main rip, to avoid both ends to glue. Wait overnight.

6. Try with the multilocks in place and see the alignment. I had to connect one multilock male to the female in the fuselage body, and like this slide it in the wing. If not the multilock would not "click".

7. If alignment is according to your taste, glue the multilocks with epoxy and cotton flocks using the same method explained before.

To do all the gluing I was working with the elevator on, to check perpendicularity and the V form of the main wing. Finally, the distance from the floor to the tip of the main wings were of 17 cm each, and 9 cm to the elevator (more or less, a few mm.).

I hope this is of help. At least, it was to me.

Kind greetings. Nacho Martínez

Anhänge

• flamingo vasos.jpg
    flamingo vasos.jpg
    197,1 KB · Aufrufe: 62
I have to say sorry again for using English. However, I was not happy with the improvements in the flamingo 2006. With 3 kg only it seemed to me that the plane was flying not as fluent as when the weight was around 3,2 kg. So, I went back to the system of using a tray by the area of the center of gravity of the plane (92 mm from the beginning of the main wing spar). Eventually I moved then back the main battery, and counter affected the balance to 92 mm by adding around 150 gramms of lead plus the NiMh external battery. The final weight has remained the same 3.185 gramms. Also, now I put the steel bar exactly in the middle of the fuselage (body). Before, the steel bar used to move 1 cm or more to the left, and the plane naturally would go left, instead of right or stay centered.

The plane now flies very, very well. Makes the circles with the aileron smooth and not wobbling. Really glides long, long, and it is possible to control well and reacts promptly to minimum deflections with ailerons, flaps, and elevator. The change in the V form is noticeable in the flying characteristics. Now, left and right circles go smooth. Not diving to the left circles as opposed to the right ones with the V form not symmetrical.

One picture after the last fly.

Cheers!

Nacho Martínez

Anhänge

• flamingo 2024.jpg
    flamingo 2024.jpg
    505,3 KB · Aufrufe: 55
Congratulations that you found your personal setup for the plane.
My Flamingo is originally out of the box, every flight is a new experience, one time it flies absolutely perfect with good thermal performance, the other time it flies like a brick 😂. I don't know why but i accepted this behavier. It's just the Flamingo 😁

Ich war letzten Sonntag mit einem Flugschüler auf unserem Flugplatz.
Es war unsere erste "Sitzung" und eigentlich war dafür der Easy Glider vorgesehen.
Da es für diesen jedoch viel zu windig war habe ich den Flamingo gewählt.
Natürlich hatte ich ein wenig Bauchschmerzen da der Flamingo nicht gerade ein Modell für Beginner ist und schon garnicht bei diesem Wetter.

Es hat sich allerdings gezeigt das die Flugeigenschaften tatsächlich auch für den L/S Betrieb großartig geeignet sind.
Vor allen Dingen die Reaktion auf die Ruderausschläge die dem Schüler ein verlässliches Feedback auf seine Aktionen geben sind äußerst hilfreich.

Da alles etwas dynamischer verläuft als bei dem Schäumling hat der Flugschüler dann auch nach jeder Einheit wesentlich mehr gelernt.

Natürlich ist die Anforderung auch an den Fluglehrer höher da man mehr "auf dem Sprung" sein muss.
Alles in Allem war es eine gute Entscheidung den Flamingo als Schulmodell einzusetzten.

Ich denke ich werde den Easy Glider einmotten.

Den Flamingo fliege ich jetzt seit mehr als 8 Jahren und nach wie vor hat das Modell einen festen Platz in meinem Hangar.
Es gab schon einiges an Reparaturen, aber das Modell hat nichts von seinen positiven Eigenschaften eingebüßt.

Schönen guten Tag,

was fliegt ihr denn für einen Schwerpunkt?
Kommt mir jetz nich mit den 92mm von der Anleitung :D

Gruß Chris

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten