Twister - neuer DLG aus Holland

pro021

User
Rückkehr aus dem Rückraum

Rückkehr aus dem Rückraum

Hallo Jungs, also ich hab inzwischen gesehen dass die reinen Abgleitzeiten relativ gesehen nicht so wichtig sind. Klar ist es notwendig dass der HLG nicht wie eine bleierne Ente dahersegelt, aber die Rückkehr aus dem Rückraum, bei Gegenwind und womöglich schlechter Luft ist enorm wichtig. Ich denke die Flieger vom Ralf sind deswegen so oft am Sieg oder an vorderen Plätzen beteiligt weil der Flieger neben seinem guten Sinken eine ordentliche Penetration gegen den Wind hat und damit erreicht der Ralf die Thermik und kommt dann auch wieder zurück ins Landefeld. Im übrigen ist es derzeit wohl der SALpeter der den Spagat am besten schafft. Wie gesagt ich kenn die Flieger nicht alle, aber der SALpeter kann mit geringstem Sinken schön schnell gemacht werden. Man braucht also nur Geduld und ein bisschen Einschätzungsvermögen.

Das ist meine Meinung!
Ciao

Heinz,

da gebe ich Dir zu 100% recht. Aber diese Disziplin kann der Twister auch ganz gut wie Alex gezeigt hat. Der SALpeter ist unbestritten sehr gut in den Flugleistungen. Klar ist, dass IMMER der Pilot darüber entscheidet ob ein Modell gut ist. Der kleinste Steuerfehler oder ein fataler Taktikfehler - Alles kostet wertvolle Sekunden. Und unter Umständen mehr als das letzte 1/10 Modelleistung.

Peter

pro021

User
Twister

Twister

Hallo Peter, es handelt sich um einen Twister Carbon spreadtow D-box!
Als einzige Option bekommt der Twister eine kleinere Seitenruderklappe, da ich von einer "großen Klappe" :D nicht viel halte und die Farben des SLW's sind rot weiß rot (weil ich ein Patriot bin :D ).

Ciao Heinz

Heinz,

da bin ich ja mal gespannt auf Deine Eindrücke. Dass Du eine kleinere Ruderfläche für das SR wählst, ist denke ich ok. Das große Ruder ist wirklich sehr wirksam. Die Farbwahl ist OK, wir wollen deine Modelle im Pulk ja auch erkennen, auch wenn Du ganz oben mitfliegst und ich etwas weiter unten...

Gruß Peter

Bas B

User
Just another opinion......

Just another opinion......

Development of the Twister.
In 2007 Alex build lots of planes with different wings to find a concept that performs and handles well under all weather conditions. In the same period Loet Wakkerman was developing the Tantalus and based on the wing shape of both models I think there were some influences (of course, this will be denied by both Alex and Loet). At the end of 2007 moulds were milled and the first molded Twister was born early 2008. Thereafter, the construction was optimized resulting in two major configurations:
- Wing with glas/ disser and Rohacell.
- Wing with 80 gram/m2 IMS carbon spread tow D-box and Rohacell.
As an option these wings can be delivered with RDS (plug and play!).

Building the Twister.
I ordered a Twisters with IMS carbon spread tow D-box with the optional RDS.
All parts had a good finish were light and gave me the feeling that it is impossible to destroy this plane during launch (but what else can you expect if a model is designed and build by one of the best launchers in the F3K scene!!).

I used the following equipment:
- Accus: 4*NiMH 345 mAh (GP). Note: For some more flying time it is recommended to use NiMh 400 mAh (GP).
- Servo’s: Flaps DS281, elevator and rudder Dymond D47.
- Receiver: Graupner SPCM synthesizer (antenna inside the fuselage and extended at the tail with 40 cm long 0.009 inch diameter piano wire).

For the vertical tail I have printed the shape of the required gap (HT23 with a length of 9 cm) on paper and attached it to the fuselage with double sided tape. After making the gap the vertical tail is attached to the fuselage with 5 minute epoxy and carbon rovings are placed in the edges beween the vertical tail and the fuselage with 24 hours epoxy.
For the servobed I used 1,5mm multiplex, attached it with 5 minute epoxy and placed carbon rovings in the edges with 24 hours epoxy.
For the connection between the wing servo’s and the receiver I used two 25 cm long (15-20 cm would be better but were not available) Graupner servo extension wires, so no soldering was required.
The springs are placed in the vertical and horizontal fins with 5 minute epoxy (spring forces are just perfect). In my opinion there is no need for strengthening the fins. On the early Twisters some dents could occurr in the outer endings of the fins but on the later models carbon is placed at the right locations to avoid this. As already noted by Alex USE covers over the fins during transportation to avoid damage!!
I decided to use a different ballast system consisting of two rooms of round 5 mm with a length of 25 cm placed in the right side of the fuselage. This enables addition of 120 gram ballast maximum (I use Tungsten (Wolfrahm) to achieve this). Reason to use this system is that no failures can be made due to center of gravity and that ballast can be changed within a few seconds.

In the wing the peg is placed with cyano and the tape on the flaps is attached (the tape I used is 16mm width and is placed at exactly 8mm). That’s all!!!

Lessons learned.
For Twisters with carbon spread tow D-box keep the wing out the sun to prevent roughening of the surface (during flying the airflow provides enough cooling). Best way is to put covers with an aluminum surface over the wing. If the wing becomes rough do not panic because this can easily be restored with polish paper (2000/4000).

Flying the Twister.
I put the center of gravity at 81 mm and never felt the need to change it.
Performance of the Twister is in one word SUPER! Excellent reach (launch height and glide angle (as noted before put the flaps in a little up position when exploring air)) and handling in thermal is very good. As Peter already noticed the model feels the same after adding (lots of) ballast, no trimming needed, just add or remove the ballast and go for it!.

In my opinion it is useless to discuss what is the best model available. Differences between the top models are small and the pilot and a little good or bad luck makes the difference during a contest. The Twister is certainly one of these top models as demonstrated by Alex on the German Open and in Delmenhorst. I also think that the model can be recommended to less skillful pilots due to the friendly handling characteristics.

Bas Breijer.

Peer

User
Bas B schrieb:
I decided to use a different ballast system consisting of two rooms of round 5 mm with a length of 25 cm placed in the right side of the fuselage.

Hi Bas,

got some Pics of that ?

Greets
Peer

Bas B

User
Alternative ballast system.

Alternative ballast system.

The two ballast rooms are made from carbon hose (EMC-VEGA SC1036) and have an inside diameter of about 5.2 mm. They are glued together with cyano. At the forward 2.5 cm, two layers of 80 grams carbon are added to give additional strength at the points where the ballast is locked. The total weight of the rooms is about 2.5 grams.
Trick with installation is the following:
Put sufficient 5 minute epoxy on one site of the rear end of the ballast room, put it in the fuselage (glue on the top site) and when positioned at the right location turn it 180 degrees and wait till the glue is cured. The front end is also attached with 5 minute epoxy.

The ballast consist of messing 5 mm outside/ 4 mm inside diameter with a length of 26 cm (not 25 cm as mentioned earlier). A double 0.4 mm steel spring is soldered on the front part. The shape of the spring is such that the front is bent inside the messing, so if the solder fails the ballast is still locked.

For the 60 grams ballast Tungsten (about 18 kg/dm3) is glued inside the messing and for the 30 grams ballast steel is glued inside the messing with 5 minute epoxy. This is positioned in the rear part of the messing. The length is such that the center of gravity of the plane does not change after installation.

Ballast change takes about 10 seconds!!!

Anhänge

• tungsten.jpg
    tungsten.jpg
    133,3 KB · Aufrufe: 69
  • Ballast removed.jpg
    Ballast removed.jpg
    178 KB · Aufrufe: 144
  • Ballast inserted.jpg
    Ballast inserted.jpg
    193,2 KB · Aufrufe: 59
  • Spring lifted.jpg
    Spring lifted.jpg
    176,6 KB · Aufrufe: 77
  • Ballast installed.jpg
    Ballast installed.jpg
    195,9 KB · Aufrufe: 60

Bas B

User
Ballast systems

Ballast systems

Hello Reto,

I have seen pictures of many other nice ballast systems on this forum (I do NOT mean the pictures of lead placed outside the fuselage camouflaged with black tape :-). It would be off-topic to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of all these systems in this threat, but maybe it is a good subject for a new threat ……..

P.s. There was a typo in my previous posting: “EMC-VEGA SC1036” should be “EMC-VEGA SC1032”.

Bas

noch eine kurze frage: ich fliege meinen twister mit 80mm schwerpunkt. alex - was hast du dir als optimum erflogen? bzw. was fliegt ihr mit euren twistern?

greets, Nik

Twister

Twister

Hi!

hab mal ein paar pics gemacht von meinem Twister und heute einen Rekordversuch gestartet mit 339g leider hat der Wurfstift keine 10 Würfe gehalten und ich konnte nur 70m werfen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQWQLQ8fBg

Es fiel mir heute sehr schwer zu werfen weil starke böen dabei waren so das es mir nicht so richtig gelungen ist den flieger auf geschwindigkeit zu bringen beim nächsten mal mit mehr gewicht und festen Wurfstift :rolleyes:

Lg Bastian;)

Wurfstift befestigung

Wurfstift befestigung

Durch die dunne flachentip kan es probleme geben mit der befetigung von der wurfstift. Was ich mache is ein 3k Kohleroving (mitgeliefert) in ein U rund die wurfstift in beide richtungen unten und oben. So lost zich der Stift nie wieder .
2ijgdus.jpg

carbonsolofox schrieb:
Hi!

Es fiel mir heute sehr schwer zu werfen weil starke böen dabei waren so das es mir nicht so richtig gelungen ist den flieger auf geschwindigkeit zu bringen beim nächsten mal mit mehr gewicht und festen Wurfstift :rolleyes:

Lg Bastian;)
Mit wind soll man das model sehr flach spinnen. Dan gibts kein problemen das das model uberschlagen will und kan man das modell auch leicht(geflogen)werfen beim wind. Die groste fehler is meistens das man das model schon ein bischen hoch zieht gegen den wind und dan komt der wind unter der flachen. Bei flach spinnen passiert das nicht.

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten