Musger Mg19b von TonyRay

Hello everyone, I'm Tony, when I was building my glider series, I always thought of: Musger MG19B. Maybe it's because I was deeply attracted by the works of the French model master Vincent in the magazine, or maybe it's my interest in continuous design and I was tired of making gull-wing gliders, and I was deeply attracted by this aircraft with straight wings and smooth lines. Its color is so dreamy, I was planning to make a green Scheme Musger from the beginning.
musger finished .png

The overall design follows the style of my glider series, so many parts are similar to the DFS Kranich. It is worth mentioning that the canopy is too complex to model. We spent a lot of time and finally got a satisfactory mold.
The style is similar to Kranich.png
2 Resin material mold.png

Next I made the fuselage part. Due to the design of the jig, the fuselage was built on a flat plate. For the stringers I used pine strips instead of the balsa strips that were often used before. The battery mounting bracket at the bottom of the cabin has been additionally strengthened by adding two pine wood strips below it so that it is not easy to tear off the base when removing the battery.
4 Building the fuselage on the desktop.png

At 1/6 scale, Musger's body is much larger than Minimoa and minimoa mo2a, with a length of 135cm. This also means that he has a huge cockpit space, enough to accommodate large-capacity batteries and other equipment, as well as 1/6 doll figures
5 Pine strips.png
6 The fuselage structure is completed.png

And I have made a video of the process when I build the fuselage, welcome to visit it on:

Then plank the fuselage. I can't wait to see the effect of installing the blister canopy, so I first made the canopy part and painted the gray paint to seal the wood in advance.
7 canopies.png

There is no particular difficulty in planning the fuselage. I will explain how to make a beautiful wing-fuselage transition/fairing separately in my blog. It can make our work more like a masterpiece.

Two methods are introduced here. The first method is the wood filling method. The joint is filled with balsa, which is then worked using a special wood carving knife that has a rounded edge. It is worth mentioning that this requires skilled sharpening techniques, and when you mastered, the entire wing-to-fuselage transition will be done very quickly.
8 Carving knife.png

9 Fill the balsa block ahead of time.png

10 After cutting and polishing.png

The second method is the common filling method, I use my DFS Kranich II 1/6 as an example. We need to fill the wing-fuselage joint with putty and then sand it. Here are some tips, first, before filling, I used masking tape to mask off the surface outside of the filled area. Then, use an oil painting scraper with a rounded edge (of course you can also use some other handy homemade gadgets to complete this step), so that we can control the shape of the putty to be close to the final shape at the beginning. After all, polishing the putty will be a rather tedious job. Ordinary putty filling shrinks when drying, so it is almost impossible to get the final effect perfectly in one time, and we need to repeat the filling one more time. Here is a tip for homemade ultra-light putty: it is made of ultra-micro fiberglass balloons (a new white powder material) mixed with epoxy resin. Its advantages are 1. It will not shrink violently after drying, 2.light Weight
11 masking tape.png

12 Painting scraper.png

13 Filling putty.png
14 After polishing.png

While the primer was drying, I started building the wing, which has only one main spar, no flaps, and no gull-wing angles, which made building the wing very quick.
17 Install web.png
18 Main structure completed.png

I used aramid wire to reinforce the boxed structure at the root of the wing spar. Due to the size limitations of the kit box, the entire wing spar is spliced into two sections, so I also added additional reinforcement to the spliced joints. Saturate the wrapped aramid thread with epoxy resin
19 Reinforcement of spar box.png

20 Reinforcement of inner and outer spar.png

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten