DS-Modell Excalibur

Thank you, Ernst. You are a true professional, open to feedback with strong desire to make Excalibur (already very fast) even better, smoother, stronger, faster... What more could be asked.

Hah, you guys's funny comments made me laugh out loud...

Thank you, Thomas, with your funny story the team is complete now. So, it was you who "speed trained" the milled parts to go fast and were awarded a citation by authorities 😇 The magic of teamwork has been clearly at work here for some time.

Robert, so true, we should travel with style. Maybe two jets, one for groupies and pilots to party to destination, and second jet as transport for the heavy-DS-glider artillery 😎

Artur and Thomas, losing local DS soaring sites is so sad. One is bad enough, losing two is a total travesty of justice. As time goes on, I hope new or old sites become available and feasible again in your region. Some losses happened here in NorCal too but Weldon and several other SoCal sites where Bruce and rest of serious DS pilots fly are still very open so worth visiting while they are available. I heard praises watching DS videos from Monte Catria but perhaps travel/cost/logistics limit frequency of visits. Weldon being a 12-hour round-trip drive for me and covid last year, my previous visit to Weldon was with SRTL in May 2020 (almost two years ago).

All of you gentlemen should visit Weldon. You shall go 300+ mph so it may be worth the travel hassle. Yes, there are snakes but Bruce “the protector” keeps a long heavy sharp shovel in his truck.

Good morning...in germany we have some spots for 300+ miles too.
The Problem is that we have no good strong windsystems. Only a few low pressure weather conditions a year with stong winds and often accompanied with a lot of rain.
We would be able to reach every spot in Germany in 6-8hours...but there is no garanty to fly fast...rain... winddirection...and windpeak are often variable in that weatherconditions and often very gusty.
I'm sure that we have some very good spots in europe...with strong windsystems like Mistral or Tramontan....but this needs more activity from each pilot.
And without training at the homespot it's really hard to fly very fast.
Weldon might be more easier to fly like the german spots...but i don't know...
Robert

We would be able to reach every spot in Germany in 6-8hours...but there is no garanty to fly fast...rain... winddirection...and windpeak are often variable in that weatherconditions and often very gusty.
Hallo Robert,
nur gut daß ich im SĂŒden wohne. In 8,5 Stunden könnte ich am Monte Cucco SĂŒdhang sein. Der dĂŒrfte fĂŒr DS sehr gut gehen.
Im ĂŒbrigen, Ende Mai, genauer letzte Maiwoche, fahr ich da mal wieder fĂŒr eine Woche hin, Ende Juli auch, dann aber 2 Wochen. Da ist dann Markus auch mit dabei.
Markus hat mich schon mal im DS etwas angeleitet, natĂŒrlich in Umbrien.
Irgendwann muss man ja auf der "darkside" beginnen, bisher nur "frontside".
Aber ich lass mich ĂŒberraschen und freu mich da drauf. Den richtigen Flieger dafĂŒr habe ich ja nun.

Wir haben zwar die Alpen vor meiner HaustĂŒre, 1 Stunde, aber da ist fast ĂŒberall Naturschutzgebiet. Und da wo keines ist, sind die SackhĂŒpfer und Drachenflieger. Und viele SpaziergĂ€nger. Z.B. Kanzelwand / Fellhorn, wĂ€re ein super Grat. Und da darf man auch nicht. Leider, es gibt in den Alpen doch so schöne HĂ€nge. Deshalb fahr ich lieber nach Umbrien oder Marken, Catria und Cucco. Letztes Jahr hatten wir Anfang Juli 10 Tage SĂŒdwind mit bis zu 80km/h WindstĂ€rke.

Gruß Ernst

So it could hardly be believed when i received email from Ernst a few days after last Weldon trip (two weeks ago) that he had already built a stronger and stiffer fuselage for Excalibur and posted it to me! I was skeptical that it was for real as it would have been a very very fast turnaround to make a new improved part. Furthermore, the shipping tracker forecasted an early arrival date of this past Friday, April 1st. Please note, in USA that date is known as April Fools day, a celebration of practical jokes, hoaxes, and pranks!

In fact, it did arrive Friday evening. A new improved fuse with installation of X10 servo in frame with external bearing.

IMG_E9760.jpg

IMG_E9757.jpg

Today (Sunday) there was enough wind to at our local Northern California site to re-maiden the Excalibur. First my friend Jeremy maiden his new D80 and went 204mph. Then Excalibur re-maiden took place, achieving day's top speed of 217mph in DS lap. After everyone left I had a long 45-minute continuous DS flight. Too bad there was no one to operate the radar gun as wind speed had increased to 40mph range and Excalibur passes were definitely making louder sounds so it was going faster. I can say that everything worked perfectly and handling felt great.

I look forward to pushing Excalibur airframe by returning to Weldon in the near future.

Hello Everybody,

I returned to Weldon yesterday with Excalibur and can report that the new updated fuselage from Ernst worked fantastic.

The wind was not as strong as the first visit however Bruce was able to set a slightly higher speed record of 310 mph, and 305 for me.

We flew 4 flights with many laps in the ~300 mph range and the elevator response was perfect the entire time. No more running out of elevator during the high speeds laps. The glider was even easier to fly fast and tracked solid.

Congrats to Excalibur team.

Artur designed a very sweet flying glider.

Ernst constructs very good.

Thank you both and everyone else who has contributed in making this glider available.

Greetings from California,

Mehrdad

Hello Mehrdad,

thank you for the news!

Great from Ernst to build and deliver a new fuselage promptly.

I am pleased that the handling with the Excalibur is now very good. Thanks to you and to Bruce for the further test flights in Weldon!

I'm really excited if there's an opportunity with more wind in Weldon and you find the time to go there too!

Thanks for always keeping us informed! 👍

Artur

It would be nice to hear something about the Excalibur in compare wit different gliders at Weldon at the same day...like K2m....
Never the less 300 miles are great....👍
Cheers Robert

Wish i had more conclusive data to share from that day. I can definitely say that the airframe has more speed to give and that the limiting factor to going faster was my piloting skills (or lack of). Bruce could have flown faster but probably didn't want to risk what wasn't his own glider, and my TX program being too hot for his liking may have had a little to do with it as well.

In case anyone is interested, Ernst created an Excalibur DS model page with pricing on his website: http://www.fiberplanes.de/Excalibur-DS-Segler-23m/

Wish everyone a great weekend.

Einfach klasse....das es immer mehr funktionierende kaufbare DS Flieger gibt ...und ein toller Spot...an dem man mega schön...frontside und backside kombinieren kann...und fett rum turnen könnte... 😉
Gruß Robert

Peer

User
👍 DS mit richtig Wind und dazu noch im T-Shirt - hier im Norden fast undenkbar....

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten