DS-Modell Excalibur

Ja in der Tat, eine echt tolle Kante auf 2100 m Höhe. Da kann man bei gutem Südwind dem Flieger freien Auslauf lassen.
Die DS Kreise hat der Pilot an den richtigen Stellen echt gut getroffen.
Bin dort schon selber öfters geflogen und bin einfach nur begeistert. Dort werde ich heuer auch bei guten Bedingungen meine "echt steife Fläche" im DS testen, ob sie auch das hält was ich mir erhoffe.
Mal schauen ob ich da auch an die Geschwindigkeit vom Excalibur rankomme. Ein bisschen Konkurrenz muss ich deiner Maschine schon machen gell Arthur....;)

Grüße Hans

@Ernst Göbel ....habe dich mit den Koordinaten nicht vergessen und werd mich auch noch wegen dem tollen Rumpf vom Excalibur bei dir melden.

UweH

User
Ich glaube den gelben Excalibur habe ich im Juni an einem anderen Spot "erwischt":rolleyes:

Gruß,

Uwe.

klein__DSC3668.jpg

klein__DSC3670.jpg

klein__DSC3672.jpg

klein__DSC3673.jpg

Mehrdad in Weldon:

"Ich flog heute 4 Flüge, die Höchstgeschwindigkeit des ersten Fluges betrug 239 mph in ruhiger Luft am frühen Nachmittag (27 Meilen pro Stunde war die maximale Böe während des Fluges). Beim nächsten Flug fügte ich Stahlverbinder an den Außenflügeln hinzu und Excalibur flog eine Geschwindigkeit von 262 Meilen pro Stunde mit einer maximalen Böe von 32 Meilen pro Stunde bei überwiegend ruhiger Luft.
Die maximale Böe des dritten Fluges von 42 Meilen pro Stunde und der sehr turbulente Wind kamen am späten Nachmittag und Excalibur flog 298 Meilen pro Stunde in sehr rauer, beängstigender Luft.
Der vierte Flug fand am Ende des Tages statt, mit einer verringerten Windgeschwindigkeit von 25 bis 27 Meilen pro Stunde, glaube ich, und einer Geschwindigkeit von 225 Meilen pro Stunde, während noch die Stahlverbinder verwendet wurden."

Video soll kommen. :)

Wie schnell waren denn an dem Tag andere Flieger? Bei den gemessenen Bedingungen...am gleichen Spot.
Und wie gut ist er in den turbulenten Bedingungen im Vergleich...?
Gruß Robert

UweH

User
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hallo Arthur..... sehr schön geflogen....bin echt begeistert. Da muss man sich erstmals wieder an so eine tolle Umgebung gewöhnen oder vielmehr einfliegen.
Und ..... saubere Landung... 🤗

Hello and sorry for my late post. Unfortunately our soaring club lost access our DS site in Northern California. This has been the case since February of this year thus opportunities to test fly the Excalibur have been far and few for me.

Where things left off was Ernst had built and sent a new wing center panel with more carbon and stiffer area along hinge line, I had test flown it late last year in the 200mph range, ready for further testing during 2023.

The Excalibur made a visit to Weldon during Spring '23 season however during first flight there was some mysterious intermittent control issues mid-flight. Landed, double checked everything, but similar issue during next flight hence model was grounded and inspected meticulously - thank goodness a problem was found and confirmed to be an "open" wiring/solder issue at MPX wing connector.

Then during Summer the Excalibur flew again at Cape Blanco where it performed well however with max wind speed was only 25mph range which meant there wasn't enough energy to push the airframe.

Last week Excalibur visited Weldon (during Fall off-season) for possibly the final "West" wind day before Winter season (North/East winds) arrives here.

Thank you Artur and Uwe for sharing my notes and videos here from Tuesday of last week.

Please note that the fastest models flown that day were K2m and Transonic Sweeper. Those gliders flown by Spencer achieve 10:1 or pretty close to that ratio.... meaning usually his glider goes almost 10X the speed of wind. Therefore with 30mph wind, Spencer can fly his K2Ms to 300mph. I don't have those skills and will go much slower than 300mph in same conditions with same glider.

That day last week the wind speed would get stronger from noon to 3pm, and then taper off slower into the late afternoon. With each pilots in rotation and taking turns on flying one at a time, wind speed was always would be different next time the same pilot flew.

That 298mph Excalibur flight with 42mph max gust was likely the strongest wind of entire day so I was the air lottery winner for sure. Now if Spencer or Bruce were flying the Excalibur during that 42mph wind gust period, I am certain they would have achieved much higher speed than 298mph. Hence the pilot (me) is the limit is my conclusion.

Also, it must be mentioned that I had my K2m with me but by time my next turn came up in the flight rotation wind had already dropped below 30mph and so it wouldn't be a good comparable.

What I can say about he Excalibur is it flies very stable in DS circuit. It gives a level confidence both visually because it is not small like K2m but rather more easy to see like D80.

The new stronger stiff wing center panel and updated stronger fuse tail boom are working very well together. Next time we have 40mph or higher winds, for sure I will install the 4 brass ballast bars and steel joiners and see it holds up.

In the meantime, I really enjoyed the video Ernst posted of Martin DS'ing his Excalibur in such perfectly consistent laps. That was really something great to watch.

I was at Weldon again today and had a great day of flying with Bruce, Alan and Steve... we all got to fly 300+mph so you know it was very fun.

The Excalibur flew well again too. New wing center panel continues to work well. My max speed with it today was 303mph, with steel joiners installed and according to Bruce's on-site weather station max gust speed during that flight was 39mph.

Also as perhaps some kind of data point... I had two flights with my K2m today, alternating with Excalibur flights. First K2m flight max speed was 292mph with 36mph max gust, and on next flight it went to 320mph with 38mph max gust. Alan only flew his K2m once and early afternoon when wind/gust speeds were not at maximum yet he still went 310mph. Steve flew his K2m to 306mph. Bruce flew his old beater K100 to 310mph.

I tried to catch my K2m speed with the Excalibur by installing 2 brass ballast bars in its new wing center panel and hoped to at least reach Excalibur's current 310mph top speed (when flutter set in on the original wing center panel). But either my poor flying or more cyclic/weaker conditions led to only a speed of 299mph during that flight... so even with higher wing loading I could not catch my earlier Excalibur speed let alone the K2m.

Oh well it was a lot of fun trying to go fast today. I think the Excalibur is a very capable DS glider and I am happy when flying it. Easier to see and very stable yet responsive. And it goes good when conditions are strong. I look forward to catching Weldon on a strong 40 to 45+ mph day to push the Excalibur a little harder next time.

In the meantime, Steve captured video of the 303 lap in case you may like to watch:

Very nice DS session yesterday.
Thank you for the information in compare to the K2m...for me it's much more easier to grade the performance of the Excalibur...than only the speed of 303 at Weldon...
Cheers Robert

Ansicht hell / dunkel umschalten
Oben Unten